alpine clematis (group 1)
- shipped within 2 weeks
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Next / named day
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Small, bell-shaped, mid-blue spring flowers with creamy-white centres, followed by fluffy seed-heads, and mid-green leaves. This early spring flowering clematis is ideal for a north- or east-facing site. Given suitable support it may be grown on its own or allowed to scramble through a strong shrub or tree.
- Garden care: No routine pruning is necessary. If the spread of the plant needs to be restricted prune immediately after flowering, cutting back overlong shoots to healthy buds. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.