clematis (group 3)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of small, deep mauve-blue flowers that fade to light blue are produced from July to September. This semi-herbaceous clematis is a non-clinging variety so is perfect for scrambling through shrubs in the border. It's a small clematis and is ideal for growing in pots on the patio where it can grow up small supports, such as an obelisk.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground-level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.