Clematis 'Ivan Olsson'
clematis (group 2)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June and September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Soft blue-grey petals, each with a broad white central band, surround a boss of reddish stamens, forming relatively large and showy flowers, which appear in two flushes throughout the season. Occasionally, the first flush in late spring or early summer can produce semi-double flowers, but typically each blooms will have just a single row of petals.
- Garden care: Remove dead and damaged stems before growth begins in early spring, cutting all remaining stems back to where strong buds are visible. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.