clematis (group 3)
- available to order from late autumn
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Sumptuous, large, deep purple flowers with greenish centres from mid-summer to early autumn. This large-flowered clematis can be relied upon to produce a mass of velvety blooms with either 4, 5 or 6 petals from June to September. Ideal for growing in a large container, supported by trellis or garden canes, it copes well in a north-facing site.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground-level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.