Clematis 'Purpurea Plena Elegans'
clematis (group 3)
- in stock
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of sumptuous, double, reddish-purple flowers from mid-summer to late autumn. This vigorous, late flowering viticella-type clematis makes an excellent partner for a climbing rose, shrub or tree in full sun or part shade. An old variety introduced in the 16th century it's resistant to clematis wilt and copes well with moderate wind.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground-level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.