Cordyline australis Charlie Boy ('Ric01') (PBR)
- shipped within 2 weeks
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection in colder areas)
The foliage of this cordyline is really striking. Not only does it create a great shape as it radiates out from the central stem, but it's also an eye-catching mix of apricot and burgundy. 'Charlie Boy' has a strong stem which becomes more noticeable as the plant ages. That's because as the new growth is produced at the top of the stem, some of the lower leaves are shed. In time then, you end up with a clear stem with a top-knot of colourful, strap-shaped foliage. This is a great plant for a pot - or a stand-alone specimen, where its distinctive silhouette can best be appreciated.
- Garden care: In colder regions move potted plants to a sheltered spot in winter, or cover border plants with frost fleece when the temperatures drop. In spring, when new growth appears and all danger of hard frosts has passed, cut back frost-damaged branches to just above the newly formed shoots.