Cosmos bipinnatus 'Xanthos'
- Available in 4 weeks
- approx 30 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to October
- Hardiness: half hardy annual
This beautiful annual cosmos has only just been introduced, but it is already starting to win awards! It is the first compact form to have yellow flowers, and these can be used as an accent to strong plums and purples, as well as softening fiery reds and oranges. It is also said to flower a fraction earlier than many of the others, so if you keep up the dead-heading, you may well have flowers from May to October. Perfect for summer bedding schemes, as well as patio pots, the flowers are also good for cutting.
- Garden care:In early spring, sow shallowly in seed trays and keep under glass, transplanting them into individual pots when large enough to handle. Harden off before planting outside after the frosts. Alternatively, sow in-situ in mid- to late spring in a well-prepared bed and thin the seedlings out as they grow to allow approximately 30cm between each. As the seedlings grow, pinch out the tips to encourage bushier plants. Taller plants may need supporting with brushwood stems in exposed positions.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June-October
- Approximate quantity: 30 seeds.