Eventual height & spread
common hawthorn - 40-60cm tall (1 year old bare root hedging)
- available to order from autumn
- 25 plants - 40-60cm
- 50 + 25 FREE plants
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any soil (except water-logged)
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Our bare root hedging range is a very low cost way of planting a hedge. These plants are only available to buy and plant when dormant (November- early April). These plants, with known seed provenance, are grown in rich Herefordshire soil to give them the best possible start in life so they are raring to go by the time they reach you.
Our plants are 1 years old (1+0) which means they have been grown for 1 year in the seed bed. The plants are lifted and graded at between 40-60cm tall, which is a good size to plant hedges at to get good establishment.
To find out more about how to plant a hedge, click here
Fragrant white flowers in May, followed by spherical, glossy, dark red fruit, and deeply lobed, glossy, dark green leaves. Hawthorn makes a great specimen tree or boundary hedge for a range of settings. A valuable food source and refuge for native birds and insects, the spiny thorns serve as a deterrent against potential intruders.
- Garden care: For best results, plant these bareroot plants out as soon as they arrive into well prepared soil.Prune hedges twice a year - in June and September, and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring.
- Humans/Pets: Fruit are ornamental - not to be eaten