common hawthorn - 30-40cm tall (2 years old bare root hedging)
- in stock
- 25 plants
- in stock
- 50 plants
- in stock
- 100 plants
- Standard £4.95
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Please note that as we reserve these especially for you, we take full payment when you place your order. They are then despatched when we start digging the plants, see despatch date above for the estimated delivery date.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any soil (except water-logged)
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Our bare root hedging range is a very low cost way of planting a hedge. These plants are only available to buy and plant when dormant (November-March). These plants, with known seed provenance, are grown in rich Herefordshire soil to give them the best possible start in life so they are rearing to go by the time they reach you.
Our plants are 2 years old (1+1) which means they have been grown for 1 year in the seed bed then lifted and grown on for another 1 year in a larger field. Lifting the plant after its 1st year encourages a healthy fibrous root system. The plants are lifted and graded at between 30-40cm tall, which is a good size to plant hedges at to get good establishment.
To find out more about how to plant a hedge, click here
Fragrant white flowers in May, followed by spherical, glossy, dark red fruit, and deeply lobed, glossy, dark green leaves. Hawthorn makes a great specimen tree or boundary hedge for a range of settings. A valuable food source and refuge for native birds and insects, the spiny thorns serve as a deterrent against potential intruders.
- Garden care: For best results, plant these bareroot plants out as soon as they arrive into well prepared soil.Prune hedges twice a year - in June and September, and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring.