Crocus speciosus 'Albus'
autumn crocus bulbs
- available to order from summer
- 5 bulbs
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: September to November
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 5/+
Beautiful, white goblet-shaped flowers from September to November, followed by narrow, mid-green leaves. This unusual autumn-flowering crocus is ideal for naturalising in a sunny shrub border among deciduous shrubs. Often the earliest autumn crocus to bloom, it soon increases to form large colonies.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in July or August in gritty, well-drained soil. Where bulbs are planted in grass do not cut the lawn until after the leaves have died back.
Please note that as these autumn flowering crocus have an incredibly short shelf-life, it is quite common to see them already flowering when they are delivered. This will not have an adverse effect on the the long-term health and vigour, and the ones that have not started to flower should be planted out as normal, taking care not to damage any emerging shoots. Those that have started to flower should be taken out of the bag and placed on a sunny windowsill where you can enjoy the show. As soon as the flowers have faded (and before the leaves develop) these too can be planted out.