Crocus tommasinianus 'Whitewell Purple'
- available to order from summer
- 25 bulbs
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun and partial shade
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: February and March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 7/8
This early spring-flowering crocus is perfect for naturalising in grass. It soon increases to form elegant colonies of slender, deep purplish-blue flowers, which open in February or March the moment the sun appears. The delicate flowers are somewhat deceptive, since it stands up well in wind and rain.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in September or October. Where bulbs are planted in grass do not cut the lawn until after the leaves have died back.