Cytisus × praecox 'Allgold'
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, preferably neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
One of the iconic spring flowering shrubs, this broom looks spectacular when its abundance of small flowers open from bud, clothing the gently arching stems. Becoming drought resistant once established, it looks great when woven through a gravel garden, but it will also add a bold splash of early colour to mixed borders.
- Garden care: Pinch out the shoots of young plants to encourage the development of a bushy habit. It needs to be pruned each year after flowering to ensure a bumper crop of flowers in the following year. Reduce the flowered stems to young sideshoots or low buds, taking care not to cut into the old wood.