Dahlia 'Gallery Leonardo' (PBR) (Gallery Series)
decorative dahlia tuber
- available to order from winter
- 1 tuber
- Bulbs (only) £4.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: half hardy (may need winter protection)
This is a great little performer, that will keep on producing its salmon pink flowers well into autumn if it is deadheaded regularly. Because it is compact it is perfect for patio pots, where it will offer loads of colour with its many-'petalled' flowerheads that can grow as large as 15cm across.
- Garden care: Dahlia tubers can be planted outside after frost, or started off in pots under glass in late winter to early spring. Plant them horizontally approximately 12cm deep, making sure the ‘eyes’ are uppermost. Allow enough room between each tuber so the plants can grow and spread to their full size without being overcrowded. While in growth, provide a high-nitrogen liquid feed each week in June, then a high-potash fertiliser each week from July to September. Stake with canes or brushwood if it becomes necessary. In mild areas, leave them in situ over winter, but protect the crown with a generous layer of dry mulch. In colder areas, carefully lift and clean the tubers once the first frosts have blackened the foliage and allow them to dry naturally indoors. Then place the dry tubers in a shallow tray, just covered with slightly moist potting compost, sand or vermiculite and store in a frost-free place until planting out again.
- Humans/Pets: Ornamental bulbs - not to be eaten