Dahlia 'Menorca' - Organic tuber
Natural - organic decorative dahlia tuber
- available to order from winter 2020
- 1 organic tuber
- Standard (dispatched separately)
In keeping with our concern for the plight of the bees, this dahlia forms part of our organic bulb range. It has been sustainably grown without the use of pesticides (including neonicotinoides), and it comes in a brown paper bag with an informative colour label.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
Compact in habit, but producing a copious amount of dazzling red flowers over a long period from midsummer, 'Menorca' is perfect for pots - or for drifting through the front of a sunny mixed or herbaceous border. The flowers grow to 10cm across and provide a rich ember-like glow, which is perfect for hot-themed colour palettes. Also, cutting the flowers for the vase will encourage the plant to keep producing more.
- Garden care: Before planting enrich the soil with organic matter and apply an organic fertiliser during the growing season. Once the first frosts have blackened the foliage, carefully lift and clean the tubers and allow them to dry naturally indoors. Place the dry tubers in a shallow tray, just covered with slightly moist potting compost, sand or vermiculite. Store in a frost-free place, checking frequently over the winter months.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs