Dendrobium Spring Dream ('Apollon') (PBR)
- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- 12cm pot - 60cm tall
- Next / named day
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: good orchid potting compost
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 60cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 12.5cm orchid pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
There are many orchids available now, but this is a rather beautiful new form with white, lightly fragrant nodding flowers and a greenish central eye, standing out from tall cane-like stems usually from January through to June. With large deep green, glossy oval leaves this orchid is a stunner. Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Place this orchid in a bright spot but not in direct sun in a moderately warm room when in flower. Let the compost dry out slightly on the surface before watering with tepid soft water, or rainwater, allowing any excess water to drain away and then remove - it's important that the plant is not left sitting in water. Make sure the plants have good air circulation around the crown, mist regularly with water anf feed with orchid fertiliser through growing season. Once it has flowered you can trim off the spent flowers but leave the 'cane' stems as they may support some more flowers in the following years. Over time some of the older 'canes' may become a bit woody and shrivelled, these can then be cut off at the base as long as there are three new healthy canes with leaves. To have flowers in subsequent years the plant will need cool temperatures and less water in the autumn and early winter for the buds to develop. Once the buds have formed however, you can increase the watering and move it back to a warmer room to enjoy the floral display.