Deschampsia cespitosa 'Goldtau'
tufted hair grass (syn. Golden Dew)
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: dry to moist, neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A mound-forming, evergreen grass that’s particularly versatile, as it thrives in both sun and light shade and the flowers persist well into autumn. Silvery, reddish-brown flower spikes appear from early to late summer above dense mounds of slender, arching, mid-green leaves. The feathery inflorescences of this elegant, ornamental grass mature to a soft golden yellow and shimmer like a golden cloud as it catches the light. Compact and easy-to-grow, it looks gorgeous spot-planted among perennials, in groups towards the front of a border, or in a rock garden
- Garden care: Remove the faded flower-heads in late winter before new growth appears. If the foliage has also started to look tatty at that time of the year, then this too can be cut back hard. In warm areas the plant has a tendency to self-seed freely. Where this is the case remove unwanted seedlings as part of routine border maintenance.