(shipped within 1-2 working days)
- 8.5cm pot -10cm tall
- Standard £5.95
- Named day £14.95
- Position: bright filtered or direct sunlight
- Soil: a specialist carnivorous compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 10cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 10cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
An evergreen carnivorous perennial, native to subtropical wetlands on the East Coast of the United States. Rosettes of leaves with flat green stalks and terminal, hinged traps are triggered by tiny hairs on their inner surfaces. Pink or red flushed traps are edged with bristles that interlock when the trap closes on an unsuspecting insect or spider.
Tempting as it may be, you should avoid setting off the traps by touching them yourself, as each trap will only activate two to three times before it dies back. These will get replaced, but if the plant does not get the chance to absorb the nutrients from the insect, it may become weakened over time.
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery alternative), but we have a wide and wonderful range on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Water this carnivorous plant from below during the growing season by sitting the pot in a saucer that is filled with 1cm of soft water. To keep humidity high, keep the plant on a thin layer of washed horticultural gravel or small pebbles. During the dormant season (autumn-winter), water when the compost gets dry, ensuring any excess water can drain away freely. Pot on (if required) in spring using a specialist carnivorous compost.
Goes well with
30 × 22 × 12.5cm
(shipped in 2-3 working days)