Elaeagnus × submacrophylla
oleaster (syn Elaeagnus × ebbingei )
- in stock
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: October and November
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Initially spotted, the leaves of this popular evergreen shrub mature to a lustrous green, but always retain their silvery undersides. In autumn, very small, but well-scented, creamy-white flowers open, filling the air with their delicious perfume. This versatile, shade-tolerant plant is perfectly suited to the shrub border, but can also be grown as an informal hedge. The foliage makes an excellent backdrop for showier ornamental plants, and is also useful for screening or linking areas of the garden. It also tolerates dry soil and salt-laden coastal winds.
- Garden care: To keep hedging specimens tidy in late summer cut back long or misplaced shoots using secateurs. Remove any plain green-leaved shoots as soon as they appear, cutting them back to the origin.