Epimedium × perralchicum 'Fröhnleiten'
barrenwort - epimedium Frohnleiten
- available to order from late autumn
- 9cm pot
This perennial is semi-evergreen so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Pretty and versatile with distinctive, heart-shaped leaves, and a spreading habit, epimediums bring lightness and airiness to a shady border. The leaves of this cultivar have delicate markings and are flushed with bronze in spring and autumn. In spring, it produces tiny, bright yellow flowers held on delicate, wiry stems. This semi-evergreen epimedium looks especially good in garden borders or under deciduous trees, since the star-shaped flowers are held high above the foliage. A lovely, year-round, groundcover plant.
- Garden care: In early spring remove dead and damaged leaves before the flowers appear and apply a thick mulch of compost or well-rotted manure around the crown of the plant. Lift and divide large clumps in autumn.