Euonymus fortunei 'Silver Queen'
- available to order from late autumn
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is semi-evergreen, so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new foliage appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A tough and versatile semi-evergreen plant with dark green leaves, which have white margins that become tinted with pink as they age. In summer it produces clusters of tiny, green flowers and these are followed by rounded white fruit. Perfect filler for difficult spots, it is tolerant of shade, salt-laden air and drought once established. The colourful foliage will illuminate a dark corner, and it associates really well with white flowering plants.
- Garden care: Tip prune young plants in mid to late spring to encourage bushy growth and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant. Remove any plain green-leaved shoots as soon as they appear, cutting them back to their origin.
- Harmful if eaten