- In stock (shipped within 1-2 working days)
- approx 75 seeds
- Seed Packets (only) £2.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, reliably moist but well-drained soil. Will tolerate boggier conditions
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A familiar sight on the banks of streams or wet ditches, our native meadowsweet is a vigorous, easy-to-grow plant that's ideal for boggy areas of the garden or beside water. Handsome, deeply veined leaflets are held on arching stems, topped with fluffy sprays, up to 25cm across, of creamy-white flowers in summer. The plant forms clumps of upright growth, but will self seed freely in the the right spot.
- Growing instructions: Surface sow from March to May indoors onto moist, well-drained seed compost. Place in a propagator, ideally at 20-25°C. Do not exclude light and keep the compost moist at all times. Germination takes around 3-4 weeks. When large enough to handle, transplant seedlings to 9cm pots and grow on in cooler conditions. Acclimatise and plant out after risk of frost has passed. Later sowings can be done indoors between September and October and planted out the following spring.
- Sow: March to May
- Flowering: June to September