Fuchsia 'Dark Eyes'
trailing hardy fuchsia
- available to order from late summer
- 9cm pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
Frilly-looking red and purple flowers that open from rounded red buds, seem to drip from the stems of this bushy fuchsia all the way throughout the summer. An excellent addition to the front of a mixed border, it will also flourish in a pot.
- Garden care: To encourage growth, pinch out the growing tips of young plants after the sixth or seventh pair of leaves. During the growing season water regularly, applying a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Cut back to the permanent framework in early spring. Protect the roots with a generous layer of mulch in autumn, or move potted plants to a sheltered position in the garden during the worst of the winter weather.