Fuchsia 'Lady Thumb'
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
This is a little gem. It forms a neat and bushy mound that is laden with tutu-like pink and white flowers from June to October. Therefore, if you want something that will put on a good show for months on end, then this is perfect. You can use it in pots to jazz up the patio, or add lashings of colour to a mixed border - and as it's one of the hardier varieties, it can be left outside in milder areas.
- Garden care: To encourage growth, pinch out the growing tips of young plants after the sixth or seventh pair of leaves. During the growing season water regularly, applying a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Cut back to the permanent framework in early spring. Protect the roots with a generous layer of mulch in autumn, or move potted plants to a sheltered position in the garden during the worst of the winter weather.