- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness:half hardy (will need winter protection)
Larger than average fuchsia flowers open from their fat buds throughout the summer. These consist of a set of pointed red sepals, which splay out from the top, and a cluster of frilly looking white petals. It's a showy addition to pots or hanging baskets, where the lax stems can gently cascade over the sides.
- Garden care: To encourage growth, pinch out the growing tips of young fuchsias after the sixth or seventh pair of leaves. During the growing season water regularly, applying a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Cut back to the permanent framework in early spring. Protect the roots with a generous layer of mulch in autumn, or move potted plants to a sheltered position in the garden during the worst of the winter weather.