showy Chinese gentian
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This perennial is semi-evergreen so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun to partial shade
- Soil: humus rich, reliably moist, but well drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: September to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Lax stems clothed in pointed leaves form a ground-hugging clump, which in autumn is studded with bright blue, trumpet-shaped flowers. These are attractively striped on their outer edges, and can be as large as 6cm, so when in full flower, the effect is very showy. Team up with the autumn-flowering crocus for a wonderful splash of late colour.
- Garden care: In areas where the summers are hot and dry, they will need protection from the sun during the hottest part of the day.