- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of small flowers appear for a long period from midsummer above the deeply divided foliage forming an attractive carpet of colour. Each purple-pink flower petal is paler at its base and fades again to near-white around its edge creating a lovely bi-coloured effect. They are also attractively threaded with darker coloured veins throughout. In autumn the normally green foliage turns attractive shades of red before it dies off. This is an easy to grow cranesbill that becomes drought tolerant with age and looks great spilling over the edges of a path or the front of a bed.
- Garden care: Some protection from severe frosts may be necessary during winter using a framework of canes surrounded with fleece and stuffed with straw or bracken. Container grown plants should be placed in a cool, sheltered site such as a cold greenhouse or cold frame.