Geranium macrorrhizum 'Bevan's Variety'
- in stock
- 2 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or full shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Clusters of small, saucer shaped, crimson-purple flowers are held on slender stems above strong aromatic, light green leaves from May to September. This is one of the most versatile and useful geraniums, as it will even thrive in dry shade. The deeply cut, semi-evergreen foliage also spreads quickly to form low hummocks that suppress weeds for most of the year. It looks lovely with strongly shaped perennials, such as bergenia, or polemonium, or planted en masse under trees, and is also valuable for hiding the foliage of spring bulbs as they die down. The leaves often turn red in autumn, too.
- Garden care: Carefully weed by hand - hoeing can break rhizomes as these are very close to the surface. Lift and divide large colonies in spring.