Gladiolus communis subsp. byzantinus
- 20 + 10 FREE bulbs
- available to order from summer
- 10 corms
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: hardy (borderline)
This is an unusual, late-spring flowering bulb which produces spikes of up to 20 funnel-shaped, magenta flowers. It looks stunning planted in groups among shrubs, where it will spread freely, or for providing vivid vertical accents among silver-leaved plants. The exotic-looking flowers also make lovely cut flowers.
- Garden care: Plant corms 10-16cm (4-6in) deep in autumn, on a bed of sharp sand to aid drainage.