calathea ( syn. Calathea leopardina )
- available to order from late spring
- 12cm pot - 40cm tall
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 40cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 14cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
We love this plant! Bright green leaves decorated with deeper green patterned markings, reminiscent of an animal print, stand out from the plant on strong upright stems creating a well-shaped pretty plant. Choose your spot carefully and this gorgeous foliage plant will steal your heart!
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Originating from tropical regions, they like relatively stable temperatures (ideally above 15°C) and a well-lit position that does not get direct sunlight (think steamy jungle!). They like to be kept well watered, although this can be cut back a little in winter, and they thrive in high humidity, so either grow it in a steamy room, mist it with water regularly, and/or sit the pot on a tray of dampened shingle. During the growing season feed regularly with a liquid houseplant fertiliser. Wipe the leaves with a damp cloth to keep them dust free.