Hakonechloa macra 'Alboaurea'
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
An eye-catching small ornamental grass, which forms cascading hummocks of vividly striped, yellow and green deciduous foliage. The narrow leaves keep their colour throughout the season, and often when the plant is grown in full sun it develops a reddish tinge. In late summer and autumn, pale green, needle-like flower spikes appear, giving a billowing lightness to planted drifts. It is useful as a simple understorey to light shrubs and as a soft edging to paths or steps. The clean, minimalist style of this grass makes it a good choice for formal courtyards or in minimalist urban planters.
- Garden care: Incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost into the planting hole. Leave flower heads to dry out through the winter, adding valuable texture to plantings. Apply a light mulch (3cm) of well-rotted garden compost after cutting back old foliage and before new growth emerges in spring.