Hamamelis × intermedia 'Jelena'
- in stock
- 3 litre pot - 40cm
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: January to February
- Hardiness: fully hardy
In winter, this vase-shaped, deciduous shrub has clusters of lightly scented, coppery-orange flowers clinging to bare twigs. In autumn, the bright green leaves turn spectacular shades of yellow, orange and red. The tiered branches of this award-winning variety of witch hazel contrast well with the vertical stems of dogwood. A lovely specimen plant for a sunny and sheltered winter border or woodland edge, where its perfume can be appreciated. The flowering twigs can be cut for the vase in winter.
- Garden care: In early spring remove any misplaced, crossing or diseased branches and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant.