Hedera - Bottle garden / terrarium plants
English ivy / common ivy
- Available in 4 weeks
- 6cm pot - 12cm tall
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, preferably alkaline, moist, well-drained soil (or John Innes No3 potting compost for container-grown plants)
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Current height: approximately 12cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 7cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
A tough and adaptable plant, which when young, will look great in a bottle garden or terrarium. As it gets bigger it can either be potted up and kept as a house plant, where it will help reduce indoor air pollution. Ultimately though it should be planted out in the garden, where this self-clinging evergreen climber can be used to cover ugly walls and fences - or provide a lush green carpet in the dry shady areas beneath shrubs and trees where little else will grow. Its an excellent choice for the wildlife garden since it supports a wide range of native species, range of native species - we did say it was adaptable! Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from. With our bottle garden plants , they may vary slightly from the photograph due to seasonal availability.
- Garden care: Water specimens grown as houseplants regularly during the growing season, providing a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Keep moist during the winter months. Plants may be pruned at any time of the year to keep within bounds.