Helleborus × hybridus 'Double Ellen Pink'
lenten rose / hellebore
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Large, freckled, nodding or outward-facing flowers are carried on stout, upright stems above the glossy, dark green foliage, making these perennials a fine addition to winter-themed containers, especially when under-planted with early spring flowering bulbs. Dont be fooled by their dainty appearance as they are pretty tough and resilient.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Cut the old leaves back down to the ground in January or February as this will show off the new emerging flowers to best effect. It will also help to get rid of foliar diseases such as Hellebore leaf spot. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring. Cut off the seed heads to prevent inferior seedlings colonising.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant