Helleborus hybridus Harvington double white
Lenten rose hellebore
- 2 litre pot
- £22.09 £25.99
- In stock (shipped within 2-3 working days)
- Standard £5.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
Attractive, pendent or outward-facing, saucer-shaped cream, double flowers from February to April above leathery, deep green leaves. This lenten rose makes a stunning ground cover to light up areas of dappled shade under deciduous trees and shrubs. Like all hellebores, they prefer a heavy, neutral to alkaline soil.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Cut the old leaves back down to the ground in January or February as this will show off the new emerging flowers to best effect. It will also help to get rid of foliar diseases such as Hellebore leaf spot. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring. Cut off the seed heads to prevent inferior seedlings colonising.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten; skin irritant