Helleborus × hybridus 'Pretty Ellen Pink'
lenten rose / hellebore
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Clear pink petals surround a greenish-yellow centre, forming very pretty flowers, which appear in loose cymes from late winter. If left undisturbed in the border, the evergreen foliage will form dense, slowly expanding clumps that will carpet the ground. An excellent choice for partial shade.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Cut the old leaves back down to the ground in January or February as this will show off the new emerging flowers to best effect. It will also help to get rid of foliar diseases such as Hellebore leaf spot. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring. Cut off the seed heads to prevent inferior seedlings colonising.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant