Helleborus × hybridus 'Pretty Ellen Red'
lenten rose / hellebore
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Add delicious dollops of colour to the planting scheme in late winter and early summer with this beautiful hellebore. The flowers are a rich shade of burgundy-red, which looks sublime against the backdrop of the lush foliage. Under-plant it with crocus for a dazzling display.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Cut the old leaves back down to the ground in January or February as this will show off the new emerging flowers to best effect. It will also help to get rid of foliar diseases such as Hellebore leaf spot. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring. Cut off the seed heads to prevent inferior seedlings colonising.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant