Helleborus niger 'Christmas Carol'
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil including heavy soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: December to March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This early-flowering hellebore will often produce its large, glowing white flowers in time for the Christmas festivities - and it will usually continue to bloom until early spring. Therefore, it is invaluable for livening up the garden during some of the darkest months of the year, whether planted out into a partially shaded border, or popped into a patio pot or windowbox.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Cut the old leaves back down to the ground in January or February as this will show off the new emerging flowers to best effect. It will also help to get rid of foliar diseases such as Hellebore leaf spot. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten; skin irritant