Hesperantha coccinea 'Mrs Hegarty'
(shipped in 3-5 working days)
- 9cm pot
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need protection in winter)
Stiff, upright stems of pale pink, gladiolus-like flowers in August and September above clumps of sword-shaped, mid-green leaves. This pale pink crimson flag lily is excellent for the middle of a sheltered sunny, moist but well-drained border. Earlier flowering than many other varieties, it provides vertical interest and a supply of cut flowers for use indoors.
- Garden care: Apply lots of well-rotted garden compost or manure when planting. Water during dry spells and dead-head regularly. After flowering remove the faded flower-spikes and protect the crown of the plant with a deep, dry winter mulch. Lift and divide congested plants every two or three years in spring.