Eventual height & spread
Hibiscus syriacus Starburst Chiffon ('Rwoods6') (PBR) (Chiffon Series)
- available to order from late autumn
- 3 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: humus-rich, moist but well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A new and showy hardy hibiscus that will put on a fab display from mid- to late summer. Each semi-double, chiffon pink flower has a starburst-like effect of deep pink veins, which radiate outwards from the flower's eye. They can grow up to 10cm across, so these tropical-looking, bicoloured flowers really put on a dazzling display. It's great for keeping interest in the shrub border into autumn, and will also make a fine, stand-alone specimen.
- Garden care: To encourage a bushy habit prune young plants hard in late spring. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant. Once established it requires little if any regular pruning.