Hosta fortunei var. albopicta
- in stock
- 2 + 1 FREE 9cm pots
- in stock
- 9cm pot
- Standard £4.95
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: partial or full shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July and August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Slender, heart-shaped, creamy-yellow leaves with dark green margins emerge in spring, but as the leaves develop they lose their variegations and become plain green. These are topped in midsummer with spikes of funnel-shaped, mauve summer flowers. Best in full sun with shade at midday and protection from cold winds, it makes a great groundcover plant for a moist, well-drained border.
- Garden care: Add a generous amount of well-rotted garden compost or leaf-mould when planting. Protect the young foliage from slugs, deadhead the faded blooms and apply a 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant each spring.