Hydrangea aspera 'Villosa Group'
- available to order from spring 2021
- 3 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
At close range, the coarse, hairy, dark green leaves of this hydrangea belie its quiet beauty. In August, flattened heads of tightly packed, blue purple flowers are surrounded by mauve florets that seem to glow as the light fades. This deciduous shrub has a naturally rounded form and the flowers are long-lasting and attractive to bees and butterflies. It makes an elegant statement towards the back of a partly shady border, particularly when planted with other hydrangeas.
- Garden care: Hydrangeas do not like to dry out. In dry weather, soak the roots with a hose and the plant will usually recover. Remove faded flowerheads in spring after the danger of frosts, cutting back the flowered stems to a strong pair of buds. Take out misplaced or diseased shoots. Mulch young plants with a well-rotted manure or compost in spring. Once established, remove a quarter to a third of the shoots to the base of the plant.
Goes well with
2 litre pot
(shipped within 7 working days)