Hydrangea macrophylla 'Altona'
- available to order from late summer
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Large heads of rich pink to dark purple-blue flowers from July to August and coarsely toothed, dark green leaves. This compact, hortensia hydrangea is perfect for where border space is limited. Best in partial shade, on neutral soils a 'blueing compound' may be applied every 7-14 days to produce blue flowers.
- Garden care: To enhance flowering prune in spring, cutting back the flowered stems to a strong pair of buds below each flower-head. Once established, remove a quarter to a third of the old shoots to the base of the plant.