Hydrangea macrophylla 'Early Rosa'
- available to order from spring
- 14cm pot - 40cm tall
- Standard £5.95
- Position: bright, filtered light & afterwards in the garden in full sun or partial shade
- Soil: good potting compost, or outdoors in moist, well-drained, moderately fertile soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: mainly summer
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Current height: approximately 40cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 16cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
The large pink flowerheads of these much-loved plants are really showy, and will last much longer than a bunch of cut flowers - provided the plants are kept well watered. Then, after the flowers have faded, they can be planted outside in the garden, where they will come back year after year.
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Garden care: Keep well watered and feed with a balanced liquid fertiliser at regular intervals. If you plant it outside, leave the old flower heads in place through the winter. Keep in mind that if they are planted out in acidic soil, the subsequent flowers may be blue! As the new shoots start to emerge in spring cut back a third to a quarter of the previous season’s flowering stems to the base and cut back the remaining flower heads to the first pair of buds.
- Humans: Skin allergen; Pets: Harmful if eaten