Hydrangea macrophylla 'Schneeball'
hydrangea ( syn. Hydrangea Snowball )
- available to order from spring
- 14cm pot - 40cm tall
- Standard £5.95
- Position: bright, filtered light & afterwards in the garden in full sun or partial shade
- Soil: good potting compost, or outdoors in moist, well-drained, moderately fertile soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: mainly summer
- Hardiness: frost tender to fully hardy
- Current height: approximately 40cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 16cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
This compact deciduous shrub can be kept in a cool room inside the house, and once all the flowers have faded, it can be then gradually hardened off before being planted out in the garden, where it could go on to produce summer blooms year after year.
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Garden care: Keep in a cool, bright room and keep well watered. At regular intervals, feed with a balanced liquid fertiliser. Once it has finished flowering (and if you want to plant it outside), gradually acclimatise it to outdoor conditions (ideally in late spring) over a period of 6-8 weeks before planting. Once planted outside, leave the old flower heads in place throughout the winter as these will help protect the tender new buds. Then, as the new shoots start to emerge in spring cut back a third to a quarter of the previous season’s flowering stems to the base and cut back the remaining flower heads to the first pair of buds.
- Humans: Skin allergen; Pets: Harmful if eaten