Hydrangea macrophylla 'Zebra' (PBR)
- available to order from autumn
- 5 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The glowing white flowerheads and lush green foliage provide a brilliant contrast to the near-black stems. This new hydrangea is perfect for adding a burst of colour to a partially shaded bed and will also make a fine, informal, flowering hedge. Their long flowering period throughout summer and autumn and their tough and undemanding nature means that these wonderful deciduous shrubs should be top of most gardeners' wishlists.
- Garden care: Leave the old flower heads in place through the winter. As the new shoots start to emerge in spring, cut back a third to a quarter of the previous season's flowering stems to the base and cut back the remaining flower heads to the first pair of buds.