Hypericum × inodorum Magical White ('Komuni') (PBR)
St. John's wort
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately-fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Admired for its abundant, golden yellow flowers bursting with stamens and its glossy white fruits, ‘Magical White’ is a gardener’s and flower arranger’s dream. Perfect in pots, it also performs magnificently in a sunny or partially shady spot, working tirelessly over a long season, with aromatic foliage, and concluding with a flourish of autumnal tints later in the year. Low maintenance, rust and deer resistance further enhance this plant’s potential as a pretty hedge, a plant for slopes, or naturalised en-masse blocks of colour.
- Garden care: When planting ‘Magical White’ incorporate well-rotted compost or manure into the planting hole and add some mycorrhizal fungi to aid root establishment. After flowering lightly trim back shoots that spoil the symmetry of the plant. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.
- Humans/Pets: Fruit are ornamental - not to be eaten