Hypericum × moserianum 'Tricolor'
St. John's wort
- In stock (shipped within 7-9 working days)
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of cheerful, deep yellow, cup-shaped flowers appear on red stems from July to October among strikingly variegated green, cream and pink leaves. This low, spreading, semi-evergreen shrub makes a valuable groundcover plant where space is limited. Less invasive than the ubiquitous 'rose of Sharon' (Hypericum calcycinum), it grows equally well in sun and shade, but needs protection from cold, drying winds.
- Garden care: Incorporate a quantity of well-rotted garden compost or horse manure in the planting hole backfill to improve the moisture-retentive qualities of the soil and a scoop of mycorrhizal fungi to aid root establishment. After flowering, lightly trim back shoots that spoil the symmetry of the plant. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the
- Humans/Pets: Fruit are ornamental - not to be eaten