Hypericum × inodorum Magical Universe ('Kolmuni') (PBR)
St. John's wort
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately-fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of small, bright yellow flowers appear from July to October, and are followed by red berries that ripen to near-black. These are excellent for cutting and adding to flower arrangements. An upright deciduous or semi-evergreen shrub, the normally dark green leaves emerge each spring flushed with red. An attractive small shrub that is perfect for a sunny or partially shady spot out of cold, drying winds.
- Garden care: After flowering lightly trim back shoots that spoil the symmetry of the plant. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.
- Humans/Pets: Fruit are ornamental - not to be eaten