Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'
broad-leaved silver holly (female)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: May and June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
To find out more about how to plant a hedge,click here
Masses of bright red berries in autumn to winter and lustrous, spiny, silver-margined, dark green leaves, purplish-pink when young. This splendid, silver-margined holly makes an excellent, evergreen specimen tree for a sunny, medium-sized garden. It's particularly suitable for urban or coastal sites since it copes well with pollution and salt-laden air. The stems are ideal for floral arrangements.
- Garden care: To guarantee berries it's necessary to plant a male holly nearby. Plants grown as free-standing specimens require minimal pruning - remove diseased or misplaced branches in spring. Trim plants grown as formal hedges in late summer. After pruning, apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant.