Iris 'Black Swan'
(shipped in 3-5 working days)
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained, moderately fertile soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The sumptuous petals of this bearded iris are deep purple, which look almost black in certain lights. They have a brown beard and appear in early summer on upright stems above the sword-shaped, grey-green leaves. Plant in big swathes for maximum impact, or mix it in smaller clumps in a sunny, well-drained border among other perennials. A tall variety that will need staking if planted in exposed positions.
- Garden care: Plant shallowly with the upper part of the rhizome sitting on the surface of the soil, incorporating a low nitrogen fertiliser in the planting hole. After planting remove the upper-most third of the leaves to protect against wind-rock. In exposed areas stake with bamboo canes in early spring. Remove the stems after flowering from the base as this will concentrate the plant's energy into producing new rhizomes. Divide and replant about every three years.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten