Iris 'Silver Edge'
Siberian iris ( syn. Iris sibirica Silver Edge )
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained, moderately fertile, neutral to slightly acidic soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Dusky, mid-blue petals, each with a distinctive silver edge, form lightly ruffled flowers in May and June above slender, blue-green, strap-shaped leaves. This beautiful blue, Siberian iris provides vertical interest in a sunny garden border or waterside planting. More vigorous than other varieties, it's particularly valuable for holding together deteriorating riverbanks.
- Garden care: Plant in soil that has been improved with well-rotted manure or garden compost and do not allow to dry out, particularly as the plant is getting established. If planted in a container, it will need dividing and repotting every couple of years in spring.
- Harmful if eaten